Baltimore Sign Garden

Baltimore Sign Garden - Welcome Recent Rescues Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Little Tavern Drug Store Pig Restoration Now Gone...1 Now Gone...2 Now Gone...3 Now Gone...4

This site represents a small portion of the collection.

This particular Little Tavern sign adorned the Greenmount Ave. location in Waverly. It lasted until 1992. 3' tall by 6' wide, it was built by Claude Neon Signs.

This porcelain sign has a 'Bulova Watches' neon clock attatched to it (not shown in this photo). Removed for a shopping center remodeling in 1994, The Jeweler closed in August 2008, after 58 years in business.  5400 Ritchie Hwy, Brooklyn Park, MD. 5' tall by 9' long, it was built by Century Signs.

Located on the now bypassed Veterns Hwy. (old Rt. 3 north), in Millersville, MD, Pumphreys operated for 54 years, closing in 2000. Mrs. Eva Pumphrey passed avay in Nov. 2008. The building now houses a florist. Fabricator unknown.

Left: Hotel Preston, removed from Preston st. near Maryland Ave., in 1997. This 2-sided verticle was across the street fron the Greek Orthadox Church. Fabricator unknown.  Right: Stoney Creek Liquors, Ft. Smallwood Rd, Pasadena, MD 1954. A 14' tall, 2-sided verticle, it once featured animated arrows down the side. Built by Claude Neon Signs. Both restored in 1998.

This became one of the oldest lighted signs in the collection when I acquired it in 2010. It hung on the corner of East St. and Fait Ave., in Highlandtown, from the early 1920's until the late 1950's. In storage since then, this very heavy pre-neon sign is 3' tall by 5' wide. The double-sided sign consist of a steel and brass frame, with 1/4 thick glass inserts. These inserts are lettered second-surface. Illumination is a row of internal incandescent bulbs. This sign still lights. St. Casimirs served East Baltimore from 1911 until 2018, when the 4-branch bank was absorbed into another local bank. Their motto was "Where thousands save millions".

The landmark 750-pound Speedy Valet sign! After 10 years of lobbying the owner for it, it was removed in 2004 from Greenmount Ave. at 21st St, Baltimore. ( The building was razed a year later).  12' tall, 4' wide lower portion,  2-sided porcelain with animated neon, built by Belsinger Signworks, in 1952.